Friday, January 20, 2017

Inspiration: Longwood Gardens

Art and Inspiration
Few places have inspired me to try new plants and explore gardens more than those in Kennett Square, PA. My first trip to Longwood was on a sixth grade field trip. Wow! I had never seen anything like it. The gardens became a go-to location while I was dating in my late teens. Trips became more frequent once I started working at Valley View Farms as I was given research projects looking into vines, silver plants, new vegetable plants, bromeliads and tropical flowers and trees. I joined a group called Garden Writers Association during a symposium the group hosted in the Brandywine area fifteen or so years ago. Many industry meetings have chosen Longwood as the perfect venue to discuss everything from emerging plants to careers in horticulture. Finally, I became a member, and make my way northeast to find solace and inspiration several times a year.

The following photos are an ode to Longwood Gardens.

Succulents framed by Acacia

My friend, Kay gazes upon a mixed border planting inside the consercatory

The hills are alive with azaleas

Cinnamon ferns grace the woodlands

Unique container gardens before a fitting backdrop

Topiaries for those that like that pruned look

The formal Italian fountains dance

Rain or shine, Longwood Gardens is worth the trip

A pergola serves as gathering place for friends

The garden walk in fall

Indoors or out, Longwood Gardens is amazing
Longwood Gardens is open most of the year and hosts a slew of special events. They are located just an hour and a half away at 1001 Longwood Rd, Kennett Square, PA 19348. With over a thousnad acres of gardens and natural spaces, I promise that you will find peace for a day amid the beauty. Get a friend and head on up; you'll be glad you did.

1 comment: