Monday, March 8, 2021

Our Connections to Gardening (and gardeners)

 Wow! What a year! People are learning that plants can provide so much for us during a pandemic. When groceries and essentials became tough to get, gardeners grew more gardens! Edibles like fruit trees, berries, vegetables, herbs, and so many other food plants were sought after by old and new gardeners alike. The plant connection continued through so many parts of our lives to help us find comfort in our own homes, gardens, and selves. 

A friend's raised vegetable garden

I spoke with my niece Becca recently. She has recently moved with her boyfriend Raf and dog, Nala, to a new place. Her job has been downsized, so she is looking for a new one. Away from her friends and family, life has changed. I asked her if having plants helped her out. She started collecting succulents awhile ago.



Her collection takes up the better part of a room in her new home. She answered yes. She said that "while the world is on fire", these little plants make her focus on a routine. They get checked daily, though Becca waters sparingly. When new leaves appear, she is happy. Becca said that while she has been stuck indoors, unable to go on all the adventures she once did with friends, the plants bring life inside. The first time she went to re-pot her plants was intimidating, but she powered through it. She encourages her sister and friends to try to grow something just for the fun of it.  Becca and I have spoken about the lessons learned when a plant doesn't thrive. It is instantly compostable, causing no harm to the environment. It happens. We move on and try again. 

Last summer, I got a chance to walk through Ladew Gardens a few times, either alone or with a friend.  Emily Emerick, Ladew's Executive Director, told me that the gardens had more first-time visitors there than ever before. The walk through the gardens was both calming and inspirational. I took note of many of the plant combinations in pots and in the garden and copied parts of them for my garden. On a side note, I took my physical therapist, Megan Rich, a true lover of plants with me. 

Megan framed in a hemlock doorway

She loved the gardens and showed me some better ways to navigate the sometimes challenging landscape physically. Now I can claim that Ladew, and gardens in general, help me both physically and mentally. 

Truth be told, I already knew that. Having worked around plants for a lifetime, the air I breathe is fresher, the humidity in the greenhouse is invigorating (except for in the heat of summer), and being outside in the sunshine is wonderful! But it's the people who make my job so fulfilling. When Anne Lynn stops in with a bouquet of dahlias, Nolen sends photos of his prized hardy hibiscus,

One of many of Nolen's prized hibiscus

Eric and his family put in a beautiful new pond; Don shares the hot pepper plants that he grows from seed; it's understood that gardening connects us. My neighbor, Chuck, who helps me out all the time, is putting in raised beds this year. I foresee a collaborative garden between neighbors. Friends and families working together in the garden this year have been a remarkable experience that working from home has enabled us. The Weinberg Village Community Garden in Owings Mills has raised bed gardens that residents are able to plant. Volunteers, including students from The Jemicy School, help on planting days and garden clean-up days.

The Weinberg Village Community Gardens

We are lucky to live in a region where so many plants grow with ease. Our communities come together to help each other, even providing extra garden harvests to food banks. Gardening brings us together, helps us enjoy nature and the outdoors, and offers too many other benefits to mention. 

Weinberg Village Volunteers

Are we ready to keep this momentum going? Everyone I've talked to has answered a resounding yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment